The end of the school year is upon us! The kids are distracted with their excitement for summer and we teachers are, to put it mildly, busy. We’re trying to pack up our classrooms, finish assessments, and figure out plans for next school year, all while struggling to keep some semblance of learning happening in the classroom. Teaching at the end of the year is not for the weak. Head into summer prepared with our End-of-Year 1st Grade Math and Literacy Centers for June.
Luckily we’ve been here before and know all of the best tips and tricks for making it work. We give our students fun math activities to work on like these whale subtraction clip cards and kite addition puzzles. And to bring in some literacy with a summer theme, we work on our summer syllable sort and fill their “basket” with this strawberry long and short vowels activity.
We keep our students’ math and literacy skills sharp with these daily math and daily literacy review journals. We utilize our access to technology and have our students work on these June Google Slide activities. So we can keep the learning going throughout the summer, this first grade summer review is perfect for individual work in the classroom or to send home with students.
One of my favorite ways to keep my students busy and learning during the month of June is to continue centers and stations throughout the month. Keeping the same routines that they’ve followed all year long helps everyone stay focused and on task. I use these 1st Grade Math and Literacy Centers for June in the classroom whether I am in the regular classroom or the summer school classroom.
Math & Literacy Centers for First Grade
This pack of centers is full of June educational activities for first grade math and literacy. You’ll receive 40 end-of-year 1st grade math and literacy centers that can be used in your classroom, in your summer school classroom, or even at home with your own children.
Each category has four different centers for the month and your students will love how all of the centers are fun, hands-on, and engaging! Covered in adorable June-themed clipart, these centers will make your classroom the place to learn in an exciting way this June.
The First Grade Summer Learning Centers Include:
20 1st Grade June Math Activities
- Dice Games
- Partner Games
- Write & Wipe Activities
- Write the Room Activities
- Puzzles and Match-Ups
20 June Literacy Centers for 1st Grade
- Match-Ups and Pocket Chart Activities
- Write the Room Activities
- Writing Center Materials
- Poetry Center Materials
- Puzzles and Write & Wipe Activities
Each category of centers comes with 4 weeks’ worth of first grade summer learning centers, giving you plenty of options to choose from all month long.
First Grade Skills Covered in the June Math Centers:
- Graphing, Place Value, Skip Counting, Making 10, Adding 3 Numbers, 10 More/10 Less, Coins, Fractions, Addition, Subtraction, Word Problems, Comparing Numbers, Telling Time, Missing Addend, Number Order…and more!
First Grade Skills Covered in the June Literacy Centers:
- Poetry, Writing, Sequencing, Sight Words, Phoneme Segmentation, Trigraphs, Vowel Teams, Contractions, Blends, R-Controlled Vowels, Word Families, Digraphs…and more!
Using the End-of-Year 1st Grade Math and Literacy Centers
The 1st Grade Math and Literacy Centers for June come with 40 centers to use with your students, which is a lot. We know that you’re super busy already and don’t have any time to waste, so we thought we’d offer our favorite tips and tricks for using these centers.
- Once you purchase and download the centers, look at everything that comes inside the zip file, especially the directions. Make a list of centers that you’ll definitely be using and any other thoughts or notes that come to mind at first glance.
- Make a plan to prep the centers. Figure out what needs to be printed, copied, laminated, and cut. We highly suggest laminating as much as possible to make prep easier for the following year since a lot of materials can be reusable.
- Once you know the centers that you’ll be using, make a plan to roll them out to your students. If you have our other months of centers, your students will already be familiar with the format. All you’ll have to do is show them the new centers and remind them of the directions! If this is your first month using our centers, make sure to explicitly model and teach each type of center so that when you give them to your students, they can work as independently as possible.
- Remember that there is no right way to use these centers. You can use some of the activities as whole-class work or even in small groups. Make the centers work for you!
- Don’t be afraid to differentiate as needed! Make the puzzles self-checking, use the different recording sheets for the write the room activities, etc. As much as we try to make the centers as well-rounded as possible to meet the needs of first grade teachers around the world, we know that every class of students is different and you may need to modify for your students to thrive.
- Don’t forget to think ahead to next June! Print things that can be reused like the write and wipe activities, roll and cover game, writing cards, pocket charts and match ups, etc. on cardstock and laminate for future use.
Materials Suggested for Using the First Grade June Centers
First Grade June Math Centers
I love to use games with dice to engage my students because of how easy and fun they are. Rolling dice keeps their little hands busy and the materials are simple and easy to prep. The four June dice games include a “Build a Bug” activity, a “Color by Code” worksheet, a “Roll and Cover/Color” activity, and a “Roll and Graph” center. These first grade June math centers will help your students practice adding, subtracting, and identifying coins.
My students are always begging me for activities that allow them to work with their classmates. The four partner games that are included in these 1st grade June math activities will give your students many opportunities to play and learn with their peers, all while practicing math skills. The June partner games include a 10 more/10 less gameboard, a coins card game, a fractions spinner game, and a race to 20 game where they can practice adding and subtracting.
Math Puzzles and Match-Ups
I like to use these math puzzles and match-up activities not only in my centers, but also as morning work and early-finisher activities. The June math puzzles and match-ups include an addition match-up activity, a skip counting match-up activity, a making 10 puzzle, and a place value puzzle. These summer math centers for 1st grade will find your students having such a good time they will forget that they’re learning!
Write & Wipe Activities
Write and wipe activities are great because they allow for repetitive practice of important skills. The repetitiveness helps students improve their fluency and comfort level with the math skills they’re working on. The four June write and wipe activities will give your students a chance to practice addition and subtraction word problems, telling time, and comparing numbers. These June-themed math centers for first graders will keep your students busy and learning while you’re packing up your classroom and prepping for the end of the year!
Write the Room Centers
Who doesn’t enjoy a good write the room activity? Hang the cards around your classroom or have students use them as task cards in a center. The four June math write the room activities cover the following skills: missing addends, number order, skip counting by 2s, and subtraction word problems.
Literacy Centers for June
Pocket Charts and Match-Ups
The four June pocket chart and match-up activities give your students hands-on opportunities to practice their literacy skills. With a sentence scramble activity, a sight word hide and seek game, a digraph match-up activity, and a sequencing activity, your students will have a blast while learning with these 1st grade summer literacy activities.
Our monthly poetry centers include four different poems that all come with a pocket chart activity, a poetry notebook, and a poetry journal. The materials can be used in centers or during whole class instruction and work time. The four June poems include three original poems about summer, plants, and bugs, and an old favorite, “Row Your Boat.” Working with these poems gives your students a chance to practice reading, comprehension, parts of speech, and more.
Write & Wipe Centers and Puzzles
These June literacy centers for 1st grade come with two literacy puzzles and two literacy write and wipe activities. These centers will help your students practice the following skills: mixed blends, contractions, R-controlled vowels, and word families. These centers are on the “definitely laminate” list so they can be reused for years to come.
Write the Room
Get your students out of their seats this June while still learning with these four June literacy write the room activities. Your students can practice segmenting sounds, changing phonemes to make new words, trigraphs and 3-letter blends, and vowel teams with these engaging center activities. These write the room centers are definitely some of my favorite summer literacy activities since they cater to my classroom full of kinesthetic learners!
Our writing centers come with four sets of writing cards that cover seasonal topics and age-appropriate writing materials for your students to work with. Your students will love writing and drawing about construction, actions, camping, and summer with the June writing cards. It’s exciting for me to watch them use their imaginations as they make up sentences and stories to share.
Download the 1st Grade Math and Literacy Centers for June Now!
Our End-of-Year 1st Grade Math and Literacy Centers for June are engaging and tailored for student success and summertime readiness!
Members get even more!
- Access to ALL of the easy-to-prep, engaging resources we’ve EVER made!
- New, exclusive, themed resources every month made for Pre-K, Kindergarten, and First Grade that our members vote for!
- Complimentary access to all 1000+ digital games we’ve made for Google, SeeSaw, and Boom Cards!
- One-click access to all of our freebies in both color and black & white!
Do you want first grade math and literacy centers for the ENTIRE year?
Check Out This Resource From My Shop!
Monthly Math and Literacy Centers Bundle for First Grade
Shop our Amazon favorites!
Help your students finish out the year with our End-of-Year 1st Grade Math and Literacy Centers for June. The perfect hands-on way to wrap up the school year!