The start of spring is a magical time of year. Flowers are blooming, the weather is warming up, the sun is shining, and the end of the school year is creeping closer by the day. To kick off the season let’s celebrate with these Pre-K April Math and Literacy Centers!
During the spring, a lot of changes occur In the classroom, for both teachers and students. There are great things about spring in the classroom, like how connected the students are and seeing them grasp concepts and skills that they’ve been working on all year. But there are also tougher parts, like that everyone is a little *too* comfortable with each other, and tricky behaviors can show up out of nowhere. Plus, everyone, including me, is tired.
The good news is this: there are so many wonderful themes and topics to cover in the spring that it’s easy to make the days a little more upbeat! To welcome spring we look at all the flowers around us beginning to blossom. We create our own flowers with this potato painting craft and build our names out of flowers.
As Easter nears, these Easter keepsake crafts are great projects for students to bring home to parents and family. We also make these bunny fingerprint crafts to display on a bulletin board for spring. Kids take so much pride in seeing their creations displayed!
We can also engage our students in some springtime science. To introduce the weather changes, our little scientists do the water cycle in a bottle experiment. We use this Rabbits Animal Study for Pre-K to connect animals with the season. It’s an exciting time learning about our fluffy little friends with this easy-prep unit.
Later on in April, we learn about and celebrate Earth Day. This Earth Day Science Unit for Pre-K is an age-appropriate way to teach our littlest learners about helping the earth. And we keep learning new things about our planet with our collection of Earth Day books.
And of course, all spring long we keep our centers and stations filled with Easter, Earth Day, and springtime fun. I like to have one digital station where I use these Pre-K digital games for Google Slides. The April pre-k centers are so adorable and the kids love reviewing skills this way.
As for the rest of my centers, I never miss a month of using my math and literacy centers. These hands-on April Math and Literacy Centers for Pre-K ensure that your students will be so entertained they won’t even realize how much they’re learning.
April Math and Literacy Centers for Pre-K
With festive and adorable clipart, these April pre-k classroom activities will make planning your month of centers and lessons a breeze. With 20 April pre-k math centers and 20 April pre-k literacy centers, you’ll have your pick of activities to use with your students all month long.
Whether used in centers or stations, as whole group activities, or even in your small groups, these spring pre-k learning centers will be your new favorite resource.
The April Pre-K Centers Include:
4 weeks of April Pre-K Literacy Centers:
- Pocket Chart and Match-Up Centers for Pre-K
- 4 Sets of Writing Cards and Writing Center Papers
- Poetry Journals, Notebooks, and Materials for 4 Different Poems
- Write & Wipe Activities
- Write the Room Pre-K Activities
Giving you a total of 20 early literacy activities for April!
4 weeks of April Pre-K Math Centers:
- Dice Games, to play individually or with partners
- Write & Wipe Activities
- Partner Games, to play in pairs
- Match-Up Center Activities
- Math Write the Room Centers
Adding up to 20 Pre-K April math centers!
Altogether, you’ll have 40 centers to use with your students in just one single month.
The skills covered in the Pre-K math centers for April:
- Number ID, Adding to 5, Graphing, Subitizing, Ten Frames, Sorting, Comparing, Measuring, 2D and 3D Shapes, Ordinal Numbers, Subtraction, Counting On…and more!
The skills covered in the Pre-K literacy centers for April:
- Poetry, Writing, Sequencing, Compound Words, Sight Words, Alliteration, Syllables, Beginning Sounds, Uppercase and Lowercase Letters, CVC Words, Rhyming…and more!
Using the April Pre-K Centers
40 centers is a lot, I know. But, you don’t have to use them all at once! You can split them up in whichever way best works for you. You can use one variation of each type of center a week, or you can pick and choose your favorites. With these spring-themed pre-k math and literacy activities and games, your options really are endless. Here are some more tips to get you ready to use your Pre-K April Math and Literacy Printables:
- After purchasing the centers, look through the full month of centers for each subject and write down what you want and plan to use. Make a list of what needs to be printed, copied, laminated, cut, etc. Doing this the month ahead is always a good idea!
- Think about what will help your future self the most. Printing on quality paper and laminating will help you have a lot less prep work to do next year.
- Decide how you will introduce the centers. Will you show all four weeks of each center at one time? Or will you show your students each center as you go through the month, maybe only a few a week? Whatever you decide, there is no wrong choice!
- Most importantly, model and set expectations clearly for each type of center. Assist students during the first few rounds of using the materials before giving them more independence. You can even do centers as whole group activities the first time around before allowing students to use them in small groups.
No matter how you implement these centers in your classroom, there is guaranteed to be a lot of learning and excitement going on all month long!
- Copy paper, Colored copy paper, and/or Cardstock
- Laminator and Laminating sheets
- Dry erase markers
- Write the room wall hangers
Spring Pre-K Literacy Centers
Write & Wipe
Write and wipe activities are so easy and fun. Just laminate and you’re ready to go! Your students can practice tracing and writing uppercase and lowercase letters and tracing CVC words with April’s pre-k write and wipe centers.
Puzzles are great to have on hand for early finishers or to put on a rug or in a game center. The two April puzzles review beginning sounds and rhyming.
One of my favorite things to do is to introduce poems to my pre-k students. The April pre-k centers come with three original spring-themed poems and one nursery rhyme. With poetry journals and notebooks, your young learners can practice reading along with you, tracing words, finding rhymes, and looking for certain letters.
Pocket Chart and Match-Ups
Do your pre-k students love to tell you how to do things? Use the “How to Grow a Plant” sequencing activity that is part of this month’s collection, and let your students practice retelling the steps of planting a seed. The rest of the activities include a springtime sentence scramble, an editable sight word hide and seek game, and a match-up activity practicing compound words.
Write the Room
Do you use write the room activities in your classroom? The great part about these activities is that you don’t have to use them as a write the room if you don’t want to. They work perfectly fine as task cards at a center table as well. The April pre-k literacy write the room centers cover skills like syllables, beginning sounds, alliteration, and counting words. Your students will have such a great time traveling around the room with their recording sheets that they will forget they’re working hard on these skills!
With pre-k-friendly writing materials, these writing center cards and resources will allow your students to use their imaginations to draw and tell lots of stories this spring! The April word cards include Easter words, Garden words, Earth Day words, and Insect words.
Pre-K April Math Centers
With April’s partner games, your pre-k students can practice:
- Numbers 0-10 with a “Catch the Bunny” board game
- Adding and taking away 1 with a “Race to 10” game
- Sorting colors and shapes with a “Spin and Color” game
- Comparing weight with a card game
Your students will enjoy playing with partners while practicing these math skills!
Match-Up Activities and Puzzles
The pre-k April puzzles are easy to prep and easy to use. Your students can put number puzzles together that have them matching numbers with the corresponding ten frames and also work on counting on with adorable egg puzzles. The match-up activities for April include an Earth Day patterns activity and a matching numbers to fingers activity.
Write the Room
With another great set of spring-themed activities, the April pre-k math write the room centers will help your students practice counting to 10, shapes, recognizing capacity, and counting on. With four math and four literacy write the room activities for the month of April, your students will never be bored!
Get your students learning and engaged with these four April dice games. Your pre-k students can build a bunny, practice graphing, complete a color by number activity, and play a roll and cover/color game, all with little to no prep from you. These games are easy enough to just throw out on the table and use!
Write & Wipe
These pre-k write and wipe activities are so cute! The best part is, if you laminate them or put them in page protectors, you can use them for many Aprils to come. The four write and wipe activities for April cover these skills:
- Ordinal numbers
- 2D Shapes
Download the Pre-K April Math and Literacy Centers Now!
Your little bunnies will have a hopping good time with these engaging Pre-K April Math and Literacy Resources!
Members get even more!
- Access to ALL of the easy-to-prep, engaging resources we’ve EVER made!
- New, exclusive, themed resources every month made for Pre-K, Kindergarten, and First Grade that our members vote for!
- Complimentary access to all 1000+ digital games we’ve made for Google, SeeSaw, and Boom Cards!
- One-click access to all of our freebies in both color and black & white!
Do you want more math and literacy centers to use with your pre-k students?
Check Out This Resource From My Shop!
Monthly Math and Literacy Centers Bundle for Pre-K
Do you want more resources and activities to use with your students this spring?
Check out our curated collection of spring blogs, products, and freebies here!
Shop our Amazon Favorites!
These interactive Pre-K April math and literacy ideas will have everyone learning and having fun this spring!