I love the month of May in the classroom, and no, it’s not only because it’s the last month of school for us! As spring blossoms, our Pre-K curriculum is enriched with seasonal themes that foster curiosity and collaboration. We like to dive into this wonderful time of year with our May Math and Literacy Centers for Pre-K. Designed to captivate the imagination of young learners, these interactive centers offer a range of engaging activities.
During the month of May we celebrate Mother’s Day by making this sweet thumbprint craft and reading some of these stories together. We engage in learning through flowers with this flower name-building activity and by identifying ending sounds with this flower match-up.
To culminate this final month of spring, we practice counting with these insect mats and play our Spring Bingo game. And to connect science with the season, our little scientists create this water cycle in a bottle.
Our students are busy reviewing all of the skills they’ve learned throughout the school year. I love to use these May Google slides for a no-prep review station. Most of all, I love using these May Math and Literacy Centers for Pre-k with my students all month long. These pre-k seasonal centers will have your students having so much fun, they won’t even realize they’re learning!
May Math and Literacy Centers for Pre-K
With 20 May math centers for pre-k and 20 May literacy centers for pre-k, you’ll have a month’s worth of pre-k seasonal math and literacy ideas that will help you fill up your May plan-book in no time.
The variety of centers will allow you to keep your students intrigued and engaged in their learning. You’ll love how the style of each type of center is repetitive, helping you by not having to give directions over and over again each week. These May pre-k activities for kindergarten readiness will help your students prepare for their next year of school.
Inside You’ll Find:
4 weeks of May Math Centers for Pre-K including:
- Match-Up Activities
- Math Puzzles
- Math Write & Wipe Activities
- Write the Room Centers
- Partner Games
- Dice Game Activities
4 weeks of May Literacy Centers for Pre-K including:
- Writing Center Materials
- Write & Wipe Activities for Literacy Skills
- Write the Room Activities
- Match-Up Activities
- Pocket Chart Activities
- Poems and Poetry Center Materials
Skills covered in the May Math Centers for Pre-K
- Graphing, 2D/3D Shapes, Ordinal Numbers, Patterns, Subitizing, Heavy/Light, Ten Frames, Number ID, Addition, Number Writing, Sorting, Subtraction…and more!
Skills covered in the Pre-K Literacy Centers for May
- Poetry, Writing, Sequencing, Sight Words, Beginning Sounds, Alliteration, Compound Words, CVC Words, Ending Sounds, Syllables, Upper and Lowercase Letters, Rhyming…and more!
Using the Pre-K Math and Literacy Activities for May
We understand that downloading 40 centers at one time can be a bit intimidating, so we’ve gathered some of our favorite tips to help you best utilize the May pre-k activities:
- Once you purchase and download your centers, look through each center type and the different activities that you get for each one. Write down or make a note of the ones you want to use.
- Make a plan to print, copy, laminate, and cut the centers that you’ll be using. Doing it all at once might be time-consuming, so splitting the work up into chunks may be your best bet. Separate what needs to be copied, laminated, cut, etc. into piles.
- Think ahead. What should be printed on cardstock and/or laminated so that you can make it reusable and save it for years to come? Deciding this ahead of time can help your future self greatly!
- Decide how you’ll introduce the centers to your students. Will you do one center type at a time or one of each type every week? It is totally up to you! Make these May activities work for your instruction.
- Make sure to model each center for your students and to set clear and concise expectations for each center type. This will help things run more smoothly when students are utilizing the materials!
- Copy Paper
- Construction Paper
- Laminator and Laminating Sheets
- Coloring Tools
May Math Centers for Pre-K
Pre-k Math Match-Up and Puzzle Activities
Match-up activities are simple activities that can be used over and over again for students to practice their skills. With the May math match-up activities, your pre-k students can practice sorting things that are heavy and light and finishing patterns. The May math puzzles will help your students practice ordinal numbers and subitizing.
Math Write & Wipe Activities
These write and wipe May numeracy activities will help your students refine their foundational math skills. These 4 centers focus on addition, number writing, separating into equal groups, and sorting by color, size, and shape.
Write the Room Centers
Write the room centers are interactive activities that get your students moving while learning. They can easily be turned into a table center, too, if you prefer. The May math write the room activities cover these skills: ten frames, addition, subtraction, and patterns.
Partner games not only help our students practice their math skills, but also their social skills as they take turns with a partner. These May math centers for pre-k include a 3D shapes spinner game, a numbers to 12 card game, a number ID board game, and a race to the top game where students will practice adding and taking away 1. They’ll have so much fun playing these games with their classmates that they won’t even realize they’re reviewing their math skills.
Dice Game Activities
Dice games are seriously the best. Not only are they easy to prep and easy to use, the kids love playing these hands-on May math centers for pre-k. The May dice games will help your students practice these math skills: 2D shapes, numbers 1-10, graphing, and more! Dice games are great for whole group activities as well, if not being used in a center.
May Literacy Centers for Pre-K
Writing Center Materials
Writing centers are great for sparking our students’ imaginations and seeing their creativity shine through. I love to put writing and drawing papers in my center with different themed word cards and encourage my students to draw anything they’d like. The writing center is great for pre-k skill development, since I encourage them to identify some beginning sounds to write when they draw or tell a story. I’ll even scribe stories for some of the students so they can bring their work home and remember their ideas. The May writing center materials come with four sets of writing cards covering these themes: dinosaurs, ocean, space, and the zoo.
Literacy Write & Wipe Activities and Puzzles
Write and wipe activities and puzzles are simple centers that allow for a lot of repetitive skill practice. These engaging literacy activities for May cover skills like alliteration, compound words, ending sounds, and syllables.
Write the Room Activities
With four additional literacy write the room activities, you can keep your students active while learning this spring. The May pre-k write the room centers will help your students practice uppercase and lowercase letters, beginning sounds, rhyming, and sorting pictures, words, and letters.
Match-Up and Pocket Chart Activities
The May pre-k match-up and pocket chart activities will help you engage your students and get them excited about learning. These hands-on literacy activities will help them practice important literacy skills like sequencing, sight words, beginning sounds, and sentence structure.
Poems and Poetry Center Materials
With three original poems about Mother’s Day, spring, and May, plus one nursery rhyme, your pre-k students can practice reading and retelling poems while interacting with the words. You’ll love the poetry notebook and journal materials that come with each poem, plus pocket chart versions for your students to sequence the poems as well!
Download the May Math and Literacy Centers for Pre-K Now!
These hands-on centers will be the perfect addition to your spring pre-k curriculum!
Members get even more!
- Access to ALL of the easy-to-prep, engaging resources we’ve EVER made!
- New, exclusive, themed resources every month made for Pre-K, Kindergarten, and First Grade that our members vote for!
- Complimentary access to all 1000+ digital games we’ve made for Google, SeeSaw, and Boom Cards!
- One-click access to all of our freebies in both color and black & white!
Want more pre-k seasonal centers?
Check Out This Resource From My Shop!
Monthly Math and Literacy Centers Bundle for Pre-K
Check out our Amazon favorites!
Discover the joys of learning with these fun-filled May Math and Literacy Centers for Pre-K. These engaging activities will help children develop essential skills in a fun and interactive way.